Berea Community School represents a national first in educational cooperation through sharing the resources of a city government, a private college, and the public schools. The concept was conceived in the 1950's and born in 1965.
A committee of 100 developed plans to aid in the passage of a school bond issue. In 1965, a school tax was voted by a large majority to finance the building construction. Berea College and Berea city council provided additional funds. The college contributed 45 acres for the site, a cash donation, and retired a portion of the bonds. The city council, through the federal Open Space Program, appropriated funds for the school's outdoor recreational and athletic facilities.
The structure represents the commitment and belief of the Berea community that children should have access to the best possible educational experiences.